The viscometer is the instrument used to measure the viscosity of liquids and their flow properties. It is equipment with various applications and can be used in different substances and materials, such as oil, plastic, paints, coatings, adhesives, wax and asphalt. It is also used in the production of mass consumption items, such as food and beverages, toothpaste, cosmetics and shampoo.
As well as other precision devices, the use of proper measurement techniques, improve the efficiency of the viscometer. Techniques will vary according to the equipment used. Due to the existence of different types of devices, this article will be limited to providing usage recommendations for the category of rotational viscometers.
The rotational viscometer is popular due to its simple structure and practicality. It is used in various industrial sectors such as paint, plastic, food, medicines, adhesives, among others. Although the rotational viscometer has a simple and easy-to-use structure, failure to use it correctly will promote inaccurate measurement data.
Here are some general recommendations for the efficient use of the rotational viscometer.
How to use the rotational viscometer correctly?
In order to obtain accurate and reliable measurement data on a rotational viscometer, the following recommendations should be taken into account:
- Ensure that the equipment is level and supported appropriately.
- To determine the Newtonian or non-Newtonian nature of the fluid to be evaluated.
- Set the measurement parameters, such as temperature, shear rate or speed and time.
- Select the appropriate measuring vessel or outer cylinder. There are equipment that has different models of movable submersible elements, so special care must be taken to select the appropriate outer cylinders. Failure to do so may lead to erroneous results.
- Ensure that the sample container is clean and free of any remnants of prior testing.
- Carefully inspect each moving submersible item before use. If corroded or damaged, at a level where its dimensions have been modified, do not use it.
- Choose the proper rotation speed and keep the liquid temperature stable, with variations not exceeding 0.1℃.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the amount of liquid to be tested. If required, homogenize the sample before measurement.
- Carefully clean the movable element or cylinder before use.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the immersion depth of the moving element or cylinder, into the liquid.
- Avoid forming bubbles during immersion of the movable element or cylinder.
- Insertion of the movable element into an area of the liquid surface, other than the central part, is recommended. Then, move the moving element in the horizontal plane, toward the center of the container.
- If you know the viscosity of the sample to be analyzed, enter the appropriate configuration in your viscometer.
- If you do not know the viscosity of the fluid you will evaluate, determine the combination of speed and submersible element, which will provide a torque reading between 10% and 100%.
- Turn on the rotating of the moving element and allow operation until a stable and constant measurement is reached on the screen. In some cases, people need to wait a few minutes to achieve an apparent balance.
- Avoid creating turbulence caused by very high speeds. Aspect of particular importance in lower viscosity samples.
- Avoid desiccation or evaporation of the sample, because it promotes increased viscosity.
- Carefully clean the movable element or cylinder before use and immediately after measurement. Use the cleaning method recommended by the manufacturer.
At Kalstein we offer a wide variety of YR series viscometers, with models that you can choose according to the needs of your industry. Kalstein equipment offers stability, accuracy and precision in the measurements made. In addition, they are designed with a control panel that facilitates the configuration and visualization of the parameters of the measurement being made. For more information on Kalstein viscometers, visit HERE
We are manufacturers, so in Kalstein you can make the purchase of viscometers at advantageous prices. For more detailed information, visit HERE